Perth Stadium will be a world-class, 60,000 seat multi-purpose venue capable of hosting major sporting and entertainment events.
Extensive research has informed the design requirements for the Perth Stadium playing surface, ensuring that it is prepared and maintained to world-class levels. These design specifications have been tailored to suit the Perth climate, the intended level and type of usage, and the relationship between the playing surface and the surrounding stadium structure.
A stabilised natural turf will be used for the Perth Stadium playing surface which combines a natural couch grass mixed with rye and artificial grass. This combination provides outstanding stability, durability and a flat playing surface. This type of turf also responds well to regular maintenance – an imperative to meet the demands of Perth Stadium.
Timeline for preparation and installation
• Construction of the playing surface at Perth Stadium begins with installation of below ground services, irrigation systems, power cable equipment and drainage systems.
• The turf is grown at a Serpentine turf farm. The turf and soil are tested monthly to ensure the highest quality.
• Installation of footings for drop-in cricket wickets and goal posts commence.
• Turf is harvested from the turf farm in pre-rolled 10 metre long x 1 metre wide sections and delivered to site.
• Turf is rolled out onto the level playing surface within 18 hours of harvesting and consolidated in place by a 3-6 tonne roller.
• Turf is hand groomed with rakes before being watered.
- Growlight rigs will be used as part of the maintenance program. These will be positioned on the north eastern portion of the turf during the winter months when sufficient natural light is not available.
- Replacement turf will be available and maintained off site to respond to the demands of Perth Stadium.
- The playing surface will be protected when concerts are held or when drop-in seats are used for rectangular events.
- A stadium turf specialist will be engaged to maintain the playing surface.
- Over 17,000m2 of turf will be laid.
- Same turf used at ANZ Stadium (Sydney), Eden Park (Auckland), Gabba (Brisbane), nib Stadium (Perth) and MCG (Melbourne).
- The natural component of the turf is wintergreen couch grass with rye added in the winter.
- 10x1m - the dimension of the pre-rolled turf sections.
- Turf installed in mid-2017.