Construction of the train station at the new Perth Stadium site will begin within months with the announcement that Laing O’Rourke and AECOM have been selected to build the infrastructure.
- Tender for $100 million station and railway infrastructure awarded to Laing O’Rourke and AECOM
- Major works on Stadium Station start later this year
- Key part of $358 million transport component of new Perth Stadium
- More than 1,800 jobs.
Transport Minister Dean Nalder said the $100 million project to build Stadium Station and its associated railway infrastructure was just one part of the $358 million integrated transport solution for the new Perth Stadium.
“The station is a vital part of the new Perth Stadium project and will enable up to 28,000 passengers to depart the new stadium within an hour of an event,” Mr Nalder said.
Laing O’Rourke and AECOM will mobilise on-site quickly to ensure the works are completed on schedule in late 2017, which will allow time for the infrastructure to be tested in the lead-up to the 2018 AFL season.
“When complete, Stadium Station will be the second largest station on Transperth’s network – with six platforms connected by two pedestrian concourses, each with multiple passenger lifts for access by people with mobility issues,” the Minister said.
“This contract will involve not only building the Stadium Station, but also significant rail works, including infrastructure that will enable Transperth to store up to 117 railcars on the Burswood Peninsula, ready for use at the end of a game.”
The transport projects for the new Perth Stadium also include a pedestrian footbridge linking the stadium site to East Perth and a dedicated bus facility on the peninsula to load up to 20 buses at a time.
Mr Nalder said the total construction workforce on the various contracts for the new Perth Stadium transport components would range from between 1,800 to 2,000.
- Stadium Station will be built on the former Belmont Park Station site
- 11 passenger lifts to provide access to platform
- Up to 28,000 passengers can use the station to leave the stadium site within the first hour after an event.