Chevron Australia has become the second Perth Stadium commercial partner, with the riverside location within the sports precinct to be known as the Chevron Parkland.
- Chevron Australia named as second commercial partner
- Company will create Chevron Parkland, including Nature Play playgrounds
- Indigenous artworks will also be incorporated.
Premier Colin Barnett and Sport and Recreation Minister Mia Davies today joined representatives from Chevron Australia and Westadium to plant the first bushes in the Chevron Parkland.
“The Chevron Parkland covers 2.6 hectares of rehabilitated parkland and will include six Nature Play areas along the Swan River foreshore,” Mr Barnett said.
“The area will also include a number of permanent artworks by Western Australian Aboriginal artists that can be enjoyed by families and visitors all year long.
“The parkland design was developed with input from the Whadjuk community and is inspired by the Noongar six seasons, and I thank the Whadjuk people for their involvement.
“I also acknowledge and thank Chevron for their partnership in this project, which will deliver a rehabilitated parkland for West Australians to discover and enjoy.”
Ms Davies said the inclusion of six Nature Play areas within the Chevron Parkland would encourage children to explore the natural landscape and participate in unstructured play and recreation.
“The play areas will include various climbing, balancing, tunnelling and chill out elements, plus sand pits and lookouts. Each play area caters to children of all ages and has picnic and barbecue facilities in close proximity for easy access and supervision,” she said.
The involvement of Chevron Australia at Perth Stadium was facilitated by the Westadium consortium, which is responsible for the design, build, partial finance and maintenance elements of the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct.
Landscaping and groundworks for the Chevron Parkland have started and will include the planting of 160,000 seedlings and 500 mature trees.
- Construction of the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct is on schedule to open in time for the start of the 2018 AFL season.
- High resolution artist images of the Chevron Parkland are available here.
- Nature playgrounds have also been built as part of other Liberal National Government major projects, including Elizabeth Quay and the Perth Children’s Hospital.
- The State Government has already announced BHP Billiton as the first commercial partner of the new Perth Stadium precinct.